cookies

Sunday, November 25, 2007


cookies + milk = comfort

Sunday ... sigh.
A bubble bath, an extra long walk through pastures, down red clay cliffs and onto seaweed strewn beaches with two girlfriends and five dogs, bundled up well, in fleece, as it's -8C and colder near the water, a big long phone chat with my one and only sibling Sandra, a few household chores, drawing new thumbnails at my desk while listening to Sunday's excellent CBC radio line up, later, from 4-5, an hour or so lying on my bed with the Saturday Globe & Mail and then an evening project (perhaps designing my Christmas cards) from 5-7 while listening to Cross Country Check Up (with very handsome, in that really smart way, Rex Murphy), the topic tonight the Mulroney/Schreiber affair - intriguing & compelling listening, will help keep me glued to my desk.

Dreamt last night of flying to Africa via London, my destination Tra La La, Africa, my imaginary place. Smile.

I have been thinking about oatmeal cookies for some time and found this recipe in the IWK Taste of Telethon cookbook. They're delicious, crisp & chewy and I ate far too many yeserday.

Crispy Granola Cookies

2/3 cup of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla 1/2 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups granola (I used Quaker Harvest Crunch - Honey Nut light & crispy)
1/4 cup sliced almonds (toasted)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup coconut

Beat sugar and butter until light and creamy, add egg and extracts. Put granola in a food processor and pulse a few times or place it in a zip lock bag and smash and roll it with a rolling pin. You want the granola to be fairly small crumbs. Mix granola with remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl add butter mixture. Shape into 1 inch balls and flattened with a fork dipped in water. Bake at 325 fro 7-10 minutes or until edges are beginning to brown.

Cherry Almond Coconut variation - substitute raisins for 1/4 cup finely slice maraschino cherries.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yum...these sound great Susan... especially the crispy, crunchy part... some of them are too...uh....soft and just not how I remember oatmeal cookies from year ago.

    have a great day....I am off to bake banana choc chip muffins for the freezer.. for use in Greg's lunches. good thing I don't care for them that much...he loves 'em. My own fav is Blueberry Lemon... hey..maybe I will bake some of those too... he is at work and I have the day to myself.... it might be a good day for baking...

    tx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vee, these are really good and very easy, also easy to adapt adding whatever bits (pecans, chocolate chips, cranberry's, dried apricots etc) you like. What a nice day you have planned ... it's funny I hate housework and am just awful at it but I LOVE to cook and bake. Could cook bake all day every day ...and I'm not too bad at it... if I do say so myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...so relaxing and comforting to read this post...and this looks like an awesome recipe. I like how open-ended it is too!

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.