the end of summer

Saturday, August 29, 2009





queen anne's lace

Each time you'd pull down the driveway
I wasn't sure when I would see you again
Your's was a twisted blind sided highway
No matter which road you took then
Oh you set up your place in my thoughts
Moved in and made my thinking crowded
Now we're out in the back with the barking dogs
My heart the red sun
Your heart the moon clouded

I could go crazy on a night like tonight
When summers beginning to give up her fight
And every thoughts a possibility


And the voices are heard but nothing is seen
Why do you spend this time with me
Maybe an equal mystery

So what is love then is it dictated or chosen
Does it sing like the hymns of 1000 years
Or is it just pop emotion
And if it ever was there and it left
Does it mean it was never true
And to exist it must elude
Is that why I think these things of you
I could go crazy on a night like tonight
When summers beginning to give up her fight
And every thoughts a possibility
And the voices are heard but nothing is seen
Why do you spend this time with me
May be an equal mystery

But you like the taste of danger
It shines like sugar on your lips
And you like to stand in the line of fire
Just to show you can shoot straight from you hip
There must be a 1000 things you would die for
I can hardly think of two
But not everything is better spoken aloud
Not when I'm talking to you

Oh the pirate gets the ship and the girl tonight
Breaks a bottle to christen her
Basking in the exploits of her thief
She's a very good listener
Maybe that's all that we need
Is to meet in the middle of impossibility
We're standing at opposite poles
Equal partners in a mystery

We're standing at opposite poles
Equal partners in a mystery

Mystery - Indigo Girls - listen here

This song to me is late summer. A favourite song, probably in my top ten favourite songs ever. A song I first heard the summer of '93 and my first summer in this little village, in this old brick house. Earlier that year, in the dead of winter, I had packed up all my troubles, my two cats, a truck load of furniture and fled the hustle and bustle of the big city and I left behind my first big love, ever. I escaped - to this new life, a life that seemed so chock full of possibility and promise. Especially that first summer when everything was new - I had a new terrific job that I loved, brand new friends, a new home, in a new little village by the ocean, my first dog Em (my pale golden girl) had been with me since the beginning of March and being a retriever she loved this new summer home as well. Ernst & Lulu my two downtown city cats were happily exploring the raspberry forest in their own backyard. It seemed, looking back, like a very happy time in my life yet this song always feels sad to me. It's about the end - of summer. I love the lyrics and when I listen to it I'm instantly transported back to the end of that carefree and brand new first summer.

The sky outside our windows is pink, puffy transparent pink clouds float above the harbour and the crows in the big willow tree seem alarmed by something.

Pink sky at night sailor's delight
Pink sky in the morning sailor's take warning

7 comments:

  1. I never noticed this before, but if you change just one letter in "mystery" it becomes "my story".

    By the way, those photos are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard that song before until now...it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. more gorgeous photos! i so wish we could hang out together with our cameras!! thanks for always inspiring and making me smile.

    i am loving this time of years more than ever this year. my heart is singing with joy.

    presley continues to prevail altho seems to slow down more each week. hugs to all of you from me and presley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, isn't it perplexing yet familiar that memories are often beautiful and sad? I love the photo series...the dandelion burst into seed and leaves on it's light and unfocused journey-a bit like memory?

    These I-girls...I love their sound...substantial and harmonic.

    You've lived there since 93? How brave and independent you can be! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. it seems Cynthia - how brave and independent I "used" to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good song. I liked this post talking about everything being new, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.