church

Thursday, December 5, 2013










the crescent beach - mild & fog / our pine tree / lichenologist love / deadly nightshade berries / portrait on the crescent beach / leaves like feathers / beauty & calm / dew / seaweed

I have a lot of faith. But I am also afraid a lot, and 
have no real certainty about anything. I remembered something Father Tom had told me--that the opposite of faith is not doubt, but certainty. Certainty is missing the point entirely. Faith includes noticing the mess, the emptiness and discomfort, and letting it be there until some light returns.

Anne Lamott - from Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith

being in nature, exploring, observing & photographing nature feels like church to me - it is church for me

8 comments:

  1. being out in nature with my nikon is my church as well. i used to take bella and zoe out in the car every sunday morning while i drove around looking for something awesome to photograph or somewhere peaceful to walk. i miss that and your post is inspiring me to get back out there again. merci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Nature is my church too. Beautiful photos. Just catching up with your previous posts Susan - glad you received the parcel. I have just read that parcels may be delivered by drones in the coming years - different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these photos are beautiful! You often have me shaking my head at the perspectives you capture... and wanting to go right out and try to copy you. Inspiration! I can see how nature is your church. I always feel restored when I walk and observe, too. Best way to restore your sense of faith in the rightness of things. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to have that "certainty". I think being certain of where I am going and that there is a God would be a great comfort to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Church = first photograph.
    The first photo gave so much meaning to the title.

    Susan, I appreciate how you see things and write them up. You are succinct but oh so full and detailed. Today is a perfect example. Thank you, I enjoy coming here every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nothing beats the outdoors ....
    tail wags ~moose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful images.
    My church is the comfort and reassurance that I derive from the beauty of nature, trees and green spaces.
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.