faith & finches

Thursday, May 15, 2014












I live by the sea and I hope I always will / daffodils in our front garden / how Betty tells us she'd like to come in (or go out) a zillion x a day / my wheat, grain nearly sugar free version of Dorie's apple cake / early morning sky / those boys in Virg's bachelor pad - the pillow topped drying rack in the upstairs hall / lichenography in the back yard / lunch - do you remember that vintage recipe - curried chicken salad with grapes & almonds / a tea break with my journal / those sweet boys again, Oliver & Virgil having a wee grooming fest my office windowsill / phlox - a new favourite perennial / itty bitty wild cat

The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply because they have perfect faith for to have faith is to have wings
J.M. Barrie

Our big yard & wee backyard forest is alive with the sounds of birds. I love having all the upstairs windows open, while I work away in my very own treehouse. I love the distinct call of the red-winged blackbirds, the chattering of the cheery robins & the squawking blue-jays but it's the happy sound of the finches that I love the best - goldfinches & purple finches busily flitting around a new black oil sunflower seed bird feeder I've placed in a spot I can easily see from my studio windows.

& checking in lots with my one little word for this year - Faith. Oh, dear Faith - what a perfect word I've chosen to guide me through this year. Faith & Trust & Belief in myself ... it feels so good, it feels so right. And from another of my favourite inspirational people - Annie Lamott

Faith includes noticing the mess, the emptiness and discomfort and letting it be there until some light returns. 
Anne Lamott

4 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous photo of Betty, how cute is her little tummy, I love her so much.
    Love your other cats and the dogs too they are all beautiful, just have a soft spot for that lil girl, I think she had a hard life before you rescued her and I love you for that dear Susan.
    Beautiful images, your apple cake looks wonderful and I have taken a copy of the curried chicken salad.
    love and hugs
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, lovely photos and I especially like the Lamott quote... Which puts me in mind of the Leonard Cohen line. "There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" and remind myself that the light is finally getting in.

    As always, thank you.
    Kathie, Gracie & Marco Polo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, a very white belly, and good, comforting food.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.