more winnie dixon

Wednesday, February 13, 2013




































last photo is Winnie soon after she came to live at 29 Black Street as a young dog & handsome red Jake in the background 

I once heard a woman who had lost her dog say that she felt as though a color were suddenly missing from her world: the dog had introduced to her field of vision some previously unavailable hue and without a dog, that color was gone. That seemed to capture the experience of loving a dog with eminent simplicity. I'd amend it only slightly and say that if we are open to what they have to give, dogs can introduce us to several colors with names like wildness, nurturance, trust and joy.

Caroline Knapp 
author of A Pack of Two: the Intricate Bond Between People and Dogs

12 comments:

  1. I see that Miss Winnie is outstanding in her field. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Winnie is certainly a beautiful dog, I especially love photo #4, the expression on her face is very captivating.
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee that first photo. OMG you can really see Miss Winnie's personality and heart there. This post really warmed my heart tonight. My apologies for lacking in visits as of late.

    Much love,
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello & merci Sybil & Dianne & big kisses from Miss D

    & Alexandra SO lovely to see your beautiful face.
    Much love to you sweet pea !

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhhh, just love looking into her eyes... some dogs just have a special "look". and don't you just love beautiful nose leather????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto on photo#1 and the book. One can never have a bad dog photo!
    Tail wags ~moose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the photos of Winnie cutting a lonesome figure on the beach and in the field. These photos give a different perspective of depth and scale in the vast expanse of beach and field.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the last photo her muzzle is white with snow; now it's white with age.
    I love the quote about losing a color. I know there are so many levels of perception.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes - I never had a dog until I was in my forties, and now I can't imagine life without her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're such natural subjects. No pretense, no fake smiles, no stiffness. They just are. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am completely in love with Winnie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a huge dog lover as well- we have 2 newts and a St. Bernard who are the center of our lives.I totally understand.
    And you're very welcome...it was my pleasure to feature your wonderful art on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.